OFF PROGRAMMING 2020
ST-AMBROISE MONTREAL FRINGE FESTIVAL
Thank you for your interest in the 30th St-Ambroise Montreal Fringe Festival, happening June 1-21, 2020. We encourage everyone to take part! Applications to our OFF Programming are due by Friday, January 31 at 6PM (Eastern). The application form can be found at the bottom of this page.
DATES AND DEADLINES
OFF Applications due: January 31, 2020
OFF Dropout Deadline: February 21, 2020
Festival Dates: June 1-21, 2020
OFF Show Dates: June 3-21, 2020
HOW THE OFF FRINGE WORKS
Accepting Companies. Priority for acceptance of OFF Companies is based on a first-come first-accepted basis, depending on the feasibility of your project, up to the discretion of the festival’s Executive and Artistic Director. We hope to be able to accept all companies wanting to present an OFF Show, but as OFF shows require a particular kind of care, we limit it to the amount of extra venues we believe we can handle. Applying does not mean your show will be accepted. Please be in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying.
Your Company. To ensure equitable access to the festival, the FRINGE will only accept one show per company. If you send more than one OFF application, only one will be accepted. You may not change the name of your company after we receive the application form. It is strictly forbidden to sell or give away your slot to another company.
What the FRINGE does for OFF Companies:
– We provide Advance Box Office services;
– We include your venue in our Insurance Policy;
– We list your show in the FRINGE Program, Master Schedule & Website;
– We provide access to our Media List and Press Package;
– We invite you to attend our Publicity Workshops;
– You will be invited to perform in the FRINGE-for-All press preview show and other promotional opportunities.
What you do:
– You apply and pay an application fee based on the capacity of one of your performances;
– You find and pay for your own venue, equipment and technician. (The FRINGE must approve your venue for safety and insurance reasons);
– You rehearse your show;
– You publicize your show (we give you workshops and media lists to help you);
– You set your own ticket prices (up to a maximum of $12.00) and you keep 100% of that (we add service charges);
– You provide your own floats and Front of House staff (who we will train before the festival), and your own float;
– You decide your own schedule and how many shows you want to perform between June 3-21. Please note that shows may start at 12 noon at the earliest, and end by 12:30 midnight at the latest (9:30PM on June 21, night of the Frankie Awards!).
TWO KINDS OF SHOWS – SITE SPECIFIC AND BYOV
A Site Specific show is one that cannot be done in one of our regular venues. In the past these shows have taken place in a pool hall, as two characters played a game of pool, or a parking lot, or in a kitchen or living room. They are non-traditional shows in non-traditional spaces.
A BYOV show takes place in a traditional venue that you rent yourself. It would be a good idea to team up with another company or companies to share a venue. A venue can be whatever you want it to be, but your capacity will need to be confirmed in conference with our production team. First and foremost, location, location, location. In order to maintain a neighbourhood festival atmosphere we ask that all the venues be within walking distance of the FRINGE Park located at the corner of Saint-Laurent blvd. and Rachel St.
Where should I look for a venue?
The perimeter is generally Sherbrooke Street along the South, Berri Street along the East, Parc to the West and Fairmount to the North. This is a fertile breeding ground for cafés, bars, lofts, empty storefronts and art galleries. Many of them have varying degrees of lighting, sound, and stage equipment already available.
So, I can just walk into a bar or gallery and ask if I can do my show there as part of the FRINGE?
Absolutely! You could be surprised about how receptive people are to the arts in Montreal. If they decline, just take it in stride and hit up the next place!
What kind of deal should I be working out with them?
This varies. Some bars are happy enough to let you perform for free before 10PM. You keep the door; they keep the bar. Some places will insist you only do Pay-What-You-Can, others may want a split of the door. YOU are responsible for whatever deal you make with them. MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!! We will need a copy of the contract. Email email@example.com for a sample contract if you need one.
Remember, if something feels too good to be true, it probably is. If something feels fishy, follow your instincts. Most bar owners and landlords are business people… business people are not known for their altruism. Make sure you protect yourself. If you want to run something by the FRINGE for a second opinion before you sign anything, feel free.
Can the FRINGE give us equipment?
Unfortunately not – OFF companies are responsible for their own venue and equipment. We might however be able to help you locate what you are looking for. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much should I expect to make?
In recent years, OFF shows have done increasingly well, but they can still be a hard sell. Doing an OFF show means extra work and extra risk because you’ll be finding, renting, equipping and staffing your venue at your own expense and then promoting your show to make back the extra costs. We recommend teaming up with other companies in your venue!
How do ticket sales work?
The FRINGE will take care of your Advance sales. Tickets will be available by phone, online, or at the Central Box Office up to two hours before your show. The FRINGE will NOT sell tickets at the door of your venue. This means you are responsible for your own door sales (finding your own venue manager). You will have to provide a person (who we will train) to sell tickets at the door starting one hour before your show, as well as a float for them to make change for patrons. This is another good reason to team up with other OFF companies, your partners can sell tickets for your show; you can sell tickets to their show.
What are the advantages to doing an OFF show?
You get to make your own schedule with performances from June 3-21 2020, which may start at 12 noon at the earliest, and end by 12:30 midnight at the latest (9:30PM on June 21, night of the Frankie Awards!). Our regular shows get six performances at a variety of times. An OFF Company could potentially perform every night at 8PM, or every night at 8PM and 10PM!
If I applied to the A-Z Lottery and made it to the waitlist, does my $55 administration fee carry over?
Absolutely! If you have already paid the $55 fee to be a part of the A-Z Programming and wish to apply to OFF Fringe, you will not have to pay the $55 fee a second time.
PAYMENT + APPLICATION – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
In order for your application to be complete, we require:
- Filling in the application form (at the bottom of this page) ;
- Payment of your $ 55 Admin Fee ;
- A copy of your contract with your venue (to be sent to email@example.com).
Once we have all of these, we require:
- Payment of your Application Fee (sliding scale based on your venue capacity, see below) via PayPal. You have 48 hours to complete payment upon reception of the PayPal invoice.
We generally take payments through PayPal. PayPal accounts connect with your bank and allow you to select various methods of payments, but it is also possible to pay with a credit card without a PayPal account. If you require any assistance or need to discuss alternative methods, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This fee is non refundable and is required in order to complete your application. We require a payment of $47.84 + taxes ($55) via PayPal – the link will show up after your form is submitted.
This fee is based on the capacity of your venue (how many patrons can be seated per performance). Upon reception of this form, we will send you an invoice via PayPal, to be paid in the following 48 hours.
The fees are as follows:
1 – 24 patrons – $452.27 + taxes ($520)
25 – 49 patrons – $469.67 + taxes ($540)
50 – 74 patrons – $517.50 + taxes ($595)
75+ patrons – $578.39 + taxes ($665)
Additional Fees / Penalties
In order to ensure smoother functioning of OFF Venues at the festival, the FRINGE reserves the right to charge your company additional fees which may be deducted from your box office revenues. The following infractions will incur a penalty (first infraction $25, each subsequent infraction $200):
- Failure to send your box office volunteers/staff for training by FRINGE Festival staff;
- Failure to provide adequate box office services to the public;
- Failure to pick up your box office package 90 min prior to show time and return it to headquarters within 45 minutes of your final performance of the day.
– If you’re accepted and withdraw before February 21, 2020, you get your money back (minus the non-refundable Administration Fee)
– If you’re accepted and withdraw after February 21, 2020, the entire fee is non-refundable.
We are looking forward to reviewing your submissions! Fringe on!